HERE'S MY TAKE
Welcome to my new blog.
- Trying this out to see if, in the next week, anybody wants Normal as a giveaway. Just one week. Just a 10 copies. My treat. Len
- KIRKUS REVIEW A housewife and mother in a Dallas suburb chronicles various changes in her life in this compilation of humor pieces. Bourland, a Dallas-based writer and NPR broadcaster who mines humor and wit from the ups and downs of everyday living, offers a collection of her essays and columns in this debut. She divides the book into different laundry-themed sections, and in the first part, “Pre-Soak,” she introduces her surgeon husband, her two sons and daughter, and the family dog. In the second, “Normal,” […]
- En route to Whole Foods on a sweltering Labor Day to get something to grill, like everybody else in America, I took the quick route through Highland Park, aka “The Bubble.” The last 4 way stop in the little bedroom community, about 10 yards from the entry to Whole Foods was free and clear, as I looked both ways to head into the jammed lot. I heard the whoo, whoo of a siren and I glanced around for the cause when a foghorn from a […]
- It took a little over nine months to compile, write and edit my columns into the narrative memoir now on bookshelves and online. Like any labor of love it was a much bigger project then I realized. Those “short,fun, reads” that I see in every bookstore I have now respect enormously. Go grab Normal’s Just a Cycle on a Washing Machine and flip to page 133 where I was lampooning the Donald, leaving Marla for greener pastures, starting the Miss Universe contest and I wondered […]
- And this month’s Pinocchio award goes to Ryan Lochte! He’s the Olympic swimmer who was all cocky jock in Rio as Michael Phelp’s swim buddy who went out partying while Michael went home to Mama and baby. His edgy shades and Julian Assange hair color and cocky jock attitude wowed the world with his tale of being robbed at gunpoint on the bad streets of Brazil. Except that he wasn’t. At least he didn’t say it to Lying (ahem) Brian Williams but to Matt Lauer […]